Sargent Shriver Excellence in Community Service Award
This award celebrates an individual's or organization's significant achievement through innovative community service to Head Start and Early Head Start. The nominee for this award should have excelled in addressing issues of poverty, early education, or community health.
Award specific criteria:
- Nominee must be an individual or organization that made an innovative contribution of time and effort that has had a positive impact upon children, families, and/or communities.
- Two letters of reference from two organizational leaders who know the impact of the service to the community. (Uploaded to application).
- The nominee must submit response to the following, in its entirety:
- A statement describing key demographic information and history of the local community
- A brief description of the specific contribution(s) being nominated, the approach and name(s) of key leaders of the effort.
- Please provide a brief description of the outcomes or impact of the effort on vulnerable children and families that are unique and/or go beyond Head Start's performance standards.
NHSA general rules and regulations
- All scholarship and award applications must reflect services contributed during the calendar year 2016.
- Applicant must be associated with a program that is a current member of NHSA.
- An individual may not be nominated for more than one scholarship or award per year.
- Local member programs may not nominate more than one person or program.
- Applications must be submitted on-line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Individuals selected for an award or scholarship must be able to provide a Social Security number and other required information to redeem cash awards.
- Applicant must be willing to allow NHSA to publicize their nomination through a variety of media channels including publications, social media, and websites.
- Nominees will be contacted primarily by e-mail.
- NHSA Scholarship and Award winners serve as models and ambassadors for the Head Start Community. During their year, winners will be encouraged to share successful strategies with others during NHSA conferences, institutes and gatherings.
- NHSA board members, staff, and family members are ineligible.