NHSA is proud to partner with Waterford to share their 2021 Summer Learning Path (SLP) program with the Head Start community to help make Waterford Upstart available to families in need during the summer months and accelerate learning to respond to potential impacts associated with COVID-19.
Last summer, in the wake of school closures across the country, Waterford.org gathered philanthropic support for a summer program to mitigate learning loss among some of the most at-risk families and served over 13,100 students in Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Ohio, Texas, and the Navajo Nation. Waterford Upstart’s innovative blend of adaptive, personalized early learning software and support for families gives young learners the foundation to build readiness for kindergarten with just 25 minutes a day, five days a week.
Based on last year’s success, philanthropic partners have once again made it possible for Waterford Upstart to offer the Summer Learning Path at no cost to families. Including software access, support from a program coach, one computer per household if a family requires it, and Internet if a family requires it, the Summer Learning Path will be available to 4,000 children in (at least) the following eight states: Colorado, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New York, Virginia, and Washington.
Head Start Webinar Series
In this web series, the Waterford.org team will go into the details behind the SLP program, how it works, how to register, and will invite community partners and families who participated in last year’s cohort to share their experiences.
- Webinar 1: Summer Learning Path Introduction on Thursday, April 29, 2021, at 2:00 - 3:00 pm ET
- Webinar 2: Research Behind the Summer Learning Path on Thursday, May 6, 2021, at 2:00 - 3:00 pm ET
- Webinar 3: Success in our Community on Thursday, May 13, 2021, at 2:00 - 3:00 pm ET
- Webinar 4: Parent Impact on Thursday, May 20, 2021, at 2:00 - 3:00 pm ET
- You get a computer to complete the program
- Your child uses our software at home for just 20 minutes a day
- Families receive support and one-on-one coaching
- On average, children who graduate enter kindergarten reading at nearly a first-grade level!
How Does Waterford Upstart Work?
Waterford Upstart provides four-year-old children access to the highest form of academic support in their early education at no cost to participants: personalized family education and coaching, a new computer and Internet if needed, and adaptive educational software.
The average Waterford Upstart graduate enters kindergarten reading at nearly a first-grade level and maintains their gains for years to come.