Lutheran Services of Florida
Teacher I for Duval Head Start
Located in Jacksonville, FL
Lutheran Services Florida (LSF) envisions a world where children are safe, families are strong and communities are vibrant. Since 1982, Lutheran Services Florida has been providing and sharing solutions to protect Florida’s most vulnerable. Today, we are one of the largest nonprofits in Florida touching 1 in 50 Floridians with a wide range of services, including:
- early childhood education
- refugee and immigration
- mental health and substance abuse
- juvenile justice
- child welfare
LSF is looking for a talented Teacher I who wants to make an impact in the lives of others.
Purpose & Impact
Serves as lead worker in classroom. Performs duties planning and implementing educational activities for pre-school aged children or infants/toddlers in the Head Start/Early Heart Start Program that comply with federal performance standards. Participates in the HS/EHS Quality Assurance efforts.
- Plans, develops and implements daily lesson plans that provide for educational and enrichment activities for pre-school age children or infants and toddlers that meet federal performance standards.
- Plans and arranges classrooms into distinctive learning areas that promote an effective learning environment.
- Screens and assesses children to determine developmental/educational needs and develops and implements individual education plans that comply with federal performance standards.
- Monitors meal and snack periods, classroom and restroom activities, and playground activities to ensure a safe environment for young children.
- Monitors food service and supplies for adequate inventory.
- Documents children’s progress or lack of and completes all required manual and computerized forms and reports in accordance with federal requirements.
- Initiates referrals on children to the Center Director by submission of a variety of formal documents.
- Plans classroom activities for parent and community volunteers.
- Attends and participates in workshops and other meetings to acquire and disseminate information.
- Communicates with parents through parent conferences, written correspondence, and telephone to apprise them of child’s progress, upcoming events, classroom activities, individual education plan changes, and other relevant information.
- Conducts health checks on children for health concerns, including ringworm, head lice and other health conditions, and reports to appropriate Health Coordinator.
- Ensures lessons and classroom activities align with the Florida Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten Standards.
- Conducts Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten assessments as required.
- Ensures that at least 80% of the children are kindergarten ready.
- Performs quality staff-child interactions resulting in a CLASS scores greater than the lowest 10% of the threshold in each domain.
- Uses active supervision techniques and maintains positive classroom behavior.
- Receives a satisfactory or higher score on the Teacher Success Rubric.
- Maintain a comprehensive and ongoing portfolio assessment for each child, including weekly observations in each area, examples of the child’s work, and a developmental assessment.
- Uses home visits and parent conferences to discuss the child’s individual development and progress, assist the parents in developing observational skills and solicit parent observations;
- Reports suspected child abuse and neglect to designated state agency.
- Plans, coordinates and oversees field trips for assigned children.
- Orders supplies and equipment to be used by special needs children in the classroom.
- Assists in the transportation of special needs children by lifting child into seat and fastening safety belt.
- Inspects classrooms and grounds to ensure the safety, orderliness, sanitation and cleanliness of facilities.
- Reviews and forwards accident and incident reports.
- Discusses plans and coordinates concerns regarding the child and family with other Head Start/Early Head Start staff.
- Performs First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required
3027 SAN DIEGO ROAD, Taylor Building