An overall look at the Families Unite campaign:
From August through October, NHSA is embarking on its first-ever Families Unite Campaign. The purpose of the Families Unite Campaign is to engage Head Start families in building lasting relationships with their members of Congress. You are Head Start’s greatest advocate, and when you use your voice to share about the value of Head Start, Congress listens. By joining the Families Unite Campaign, you are using your voice to build a strong future for Head Start.
What you can expect over the next three months:
In August, Congress is out of session and members are back home. Use this time to meet with your members of Congress in their local district office as the first step in building lasting relationships with your elected officials.
In September, you will have the opportunity to join the Head Start community in Washington, D.C. to advocate for Head Start during our Fall Leadership Institute (FLI). Meeting with your members of Congress demonstrates to those who decide Head Start’s funding that Head Start matters. We are also inviting leaders to amplify their voices at our FLI Hill Rally.
In October, the final step, Head Start programs across the country will invite members of Congress to visit their program. This is an important way to show them the value of Head Start in your community and just how unique, innovative, and high-quality Head Start is. By having a face-to-face encounter and making your Head Start program something they will remember, these visits help build relationships with elected officials who make impactful decisions about Head Start.
Families Unite Timeline
- Contact your members of Congress’ offices to schedule your local meetings.
- Alert NHSA of your scheduled meetings using the Families Unite Hotline. NHSA will provide you with a Meeting & Conversation Guide with talking points and helpful templates.
- Invite any parents and community partners who will contribute to a successful meeting.
- Share your meeting outcomes with NHSA.
- Join us in Washington, D.C. for the Fall Leadership Institute.
- Meet with your members of Congress in their D.C. offices.
- Amplify your voice at the Head Start Hill Rally.
- Share your meeting outcome with NHSA.
- Invite your members of Congress to visit your program.
- Alert NHSA of the planned visit using the Families Unite Hotline. NHSA will then provide you with a Meeting & Conversation Guide with talking points for your visit.
- Host a visit from your members of Congress. Don’t forget to take photos and engage local press!
- Share the visit outcome with NHSA.