Open Application Period
Quality Initiative Application
Programs Eligible to Apply
To be eligible to apply for participation in the NHSA Quality Initiative a Head Start program must:
- Have an active membership in the National Head Start Association: All applicants must be program members of NHSA and be current in their payment of NHSA membership dues for the year in which the application is submitted.
- Be in full compliance with the Head Start Program Performance Standards and other regulations including CLASSTM scores.
- Not currently be subject to competition.
When to Apply
The NHSA Quality Initiative application period is open year round; therefore, applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
How to Apply
Submit Letter of Intent
A Letter of Intent should be submitted to indicate the program's intent to apply for the NHSA Quality Initiative. The application content can be found in the Quality Initiative Guidelines and Application Content (PDF) located on this page. After payment has been received, the program will be given access to an online application tool in which responses will be submitted.
- Programs first submit a Letter of Intent.
- Upon receipt of this letter, NHSA will send an invoice for the application fee.
- With the application fee paid, programs will gain access to an online tool where application responses, including the Program Profile, will be submitted.
The Letter of Intent should state:
- Name of the applying Head Start program
- Designation desired: Program of Achievement-Provisional level, Program of Achievement-Sustaining level, or Program of Excellence
- Head Start grant amount
- Name and address of where the invoice should be e-mailed or mailed
The Letter of Intent should be on the program’s letterhead and can be e-mailed to email@example.com
Submit the Application
Responses to the application components will be submitted using an online tool. Upon receipt of the application fee, access to the online tool will be sent to the identified QI contact person(s).
Programs will have four (4) months to complete the application. The deadline date will be set by NHSA and e-mailed to the identified QI contact person(s).
|Head Start Funding||Program of Achievement (Provisional)||Program of Achievement (Sustaining)||Program of Excellence|
|$1m to $3m||$1735||$3780||$5935|
|$3m to $10m||$1735||$3780||$5935|
|$10m to $25m||$1875||$4085||$7975|
|$25m to $40m||$2010||$4385||$10,000|
|$40m to $60m||$2010||$4385||$10,000|
Please note that application fees are non-refundable.
NHSA Quality Initiative Annual Report
All Quality Initiative Program of Achievement-Sustaining Level and Program of Excellence designees must submit an Annual Report of program eligibility status.