In honor of National Reading Month this March NHSA is partnering with actor and author Taye Diggs to promote cultural understanding and pride while wishing Congress a Happy National Reading Month. Everything you need to participate is here, so you can get started today!
This activity will also enable you to share a special message with your Members of Congress and create a topic of discussion to engage parents when children return home at the end of the school day. By reading either Chocolate Me! or Mixed Me! this March, you will enable them to celebrate and embrace their own unique cultures.
How To Begin
- Choose what day or days in March you will do the reading month activity with your children.
- Print out a few sample activity ideas and read Chocolate Me! or Mixed Me! or both during the month of March at your Head Start program. There is even a take home activity to engage your parents with!
- Take pictures and have fun! Post your pictures on social media using the hashtag #ReadWithTaye. When you post your pictures make sure to tag us (@NatlHeadStart) and Head Start’s Child Literacy Ambassador @TayeDiggs on Facebook and Twitter. He may even share your picture and promote your program!
- But, most importantly, tag your Members of Congress! Share your pictures and wish your Senators and Representative a happy National Reading Month! You can find out who your members of Congress are here. To tag them on social media, find Members of Congress handles here.
- Contact Olivia at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know that you will be participating! She can also answer any questions you might have!